The full form of FDD in computer is Floppy Disk Drive which is a hardware device that enables you to store your data information to a removable diskettes. FDD was invented in 1967 at IBM by Alan Shugart.
What are the parts of FDD?
- Read /write heads magnetic
- Drive motor
- Stepper motor
- Mechanical frame
- Circuit board
What are the capacities of FDD?
360 KB to 1.2 MB of data can be stored in a 5 1/4 floppy disk. A 3 1/2 floppy disk can store up to 360 KB to 1.44 MB of data.
The limitation of the stored data is depended upon two factors.
- High-density or regular disk
- Double-sided or regular disk
What is the purpose of FDD?
A floppy disk drive is used for transferring data, backup and store minimal data. It also installs programs and drive updates. There is a removable diskettes named as floppy disk and the floppy disk drive accesses data stored in it.
FDD was widespread during the 90s but now it has replaced by other removable storage devices like DVD and CD.
What are the features of FDD?
- Easily portable
- Lighter weight
- Quite cheap
- Contains single plastic disk
What are the differences between hard disk and floppy disk?
- Hard disk is made of aluminium and floppy disk is made of plastic.
- Hard disk is the main storage device of computer whereas floppy disk is not used as main storage currently.
- Storage capacity is very high whereas floppy disk has low storage capacity.
- It stores data in high speed but FDD stores data at low speed.
- In hard disk data can’t be damaged whereas in FDD data can be corrupted.
- Hard disk is reliable whereas currently FDD is not reliable.
- Secure from virus whereas it is susceptible to virus.