The full form of WAN in Computer is Wide Area Network, it is a network that expands over a large geographic area for communication circuits.
What is WAN used for?
As the name stands WAN is a large network interface that is not tied to any particular single location. WAN allows other LANs to communicate with themselves across great distances.
They also facilitate communication and share information between devices that are connected to the internet anywhere in the world.
How does WAN work?
WAN is the most expansive computer network that has been around till now, the network is set up by service providers and they then lease their network various businesses, government agencies, schools, colleges or to the public. These customers can then transfer and store their data as long as they have a secure access to the designated WAN.
Access to WAN is given via certain links, VPN (virtual private network) and cellular or wireless networks. WAN allows its customers to create unified network so that its consumers can work together regardless of their location and distance.
What are the differences between WAN and LAN?
- LAN stands for Local Area Network and WAN stands for Wide Area Network.
- LAN is privately own while WAN can be both private and public.
- WAN’s speed is lower than of LAN.
- LAN covers a small area but WAN offers a large geographical area.
- Co-axial or UTP cables are used in LAN while WAN uses PSTN or satellite link.
- LAN cheaper and easy to maintain whereas WAN is expensive and the maintenance is difficult.
Also read : What is the full meaning of DNS in computer?
What are the different types of WAN Technologies?
- Packet Switching
- TCP/IP Protocol Suite
- Overlay Network
- Frame Relay