The full form of GPRS in computer is General Packet Radio System which is a third generation global internet protocol for cellular and wireless network communication service.
It works on GPRS cell phones also laptops and portable devices that includes GPRS modems. It has two protocols
- Internet protocol (IP)
- Point-To-Point Protocol (PPP)
Who developed GPRS?
GPRS come to be developed in 2000 as a packet-swtiched data service. It widespread the internet through connecting various mobile terminal worldwide.
What is the purpose of GPRS?
- To simplify the connectivity between the mobile and other networks.
- Enables users to get connected when needed despite the location.
- To keep a balanced and compatible voice and data interchanges while moving.
- To allow customer to get data applicable to their current area.
What are the benefits of GPRS?
- Higher speed connectivity than telecommunication network. It offers a maximum speed of 171.2 kbps.
- Immediate connection and data transfer.
- It is a good value.
- Packet switched operation.
- It provides innovative internet applications like IM messages, E-Commerce, Web-Browsing etc.
What are the services provided by GPRS?
- Internet access for ‘always on’.
- Multimedia message service.
- Instant messaging system and broadcasting.
- Push-to-talk over cellular (PoC).
Also Read : What is the meaning of OMR in computer
What is the difference between GPS and GPRS?
- GPS (Global Positioning System) shares location information while GPRS is a data communication service.
- GPS navigation system is based on satellite whereas GPRS is based on GSM communication and uses terrestrial tower.
- GPS is used for mapping, GIS, finding location, exploration whereas GPRS is used for web browsing, video calling, emailing etc.
- More than 3 station is required for GPS whereas in GPRS one station is needed.
- GPS can work along with technologies like LTE, GSM etc while GPRS is only a part of the GSM network.