The full form of FORTRAN in computer is FORmula TRANslation which is one of the first and oldest imperative programming language for general purposes like numeric and scientific computing.
Later it was extended to a very high level programming language with a better degree of portability. In today’s highly developed programming languages like python, java it is still being used in a large scale.
Who developed FORTRAN?
In 1954 Fortran was begun to be developed by the members of IBM and John Backus. It was made public in 1956 and finally in 1956 they release the first ever compiler. By 1960 different versions were available for IBM.
What is the use of FORTRAN?
- Numerical weather prediction
- Computational fluid dynamics
- Computational physics
- Computational chemistry
- Finite element analysis
What are the advantages of FORTRAN?
- Through FORTRAN scientific computing is perfect since it gives world’s fastest native code.
- In the domain of science it is very powerful through its tool of ecosystem.
- FORTRAN has the feature for vectorization which is very helpful in modeling super-computers.
- Compared to C++ modern day FORTRAN is very easy and simple to use.
- Unlike python it does not include the troublesome syntax of the off-side.
Why should you learn FORTRAN?
FORTRAN is a dominant programming language in the field of computer engineering. Hence it is important to learn this old yet significant language to modify one’s coding knowledge. Hence some of the reasons to learn it are as followed
- Variety of personal functions
- Integrated support for complex numbers
- Integrated assistant for arguments in sub-routines
- Support for classification by allowing operation in a sequence
- Much more efficient and skilled code because of the strong memory pointers