The full form of COBOL in computer is Computer business oriented- language.
What is the full meaning of COBOL in computer programming?
It is a commercial based high end programming language. It is majorly used in the corporate and finance sector while its use is reducing with time.
- Grace Hopper was the first to recognize COBOL in the 1950s. Previously, each system manufacturer was required to run a program in their programming language.
- COBOL's programs can operate on computers from a variety of producers allowing the DOD (Department of Defense) to rapidly implement it because they had to acquire devices from a variety of vendors.
- Since 1960, it has encountered numerous revisions and upgrades.
- COBOL-68, COBOL-74, COBOL-85, and COBOL-2002 are some of the COBOL updates created by the ANSI (American National Standards Institute).
- As a result, the COBOL format is no longer supported by modern computers, and it is referred to as a Legacy Language.
What are the Features of COBOL language?
- Standard syntax
- Wide tool availability
- Long lived applications
- Easy to maintain
Why is COBOL important?
COBOL language became popular due to its ease to use and multiple features.
- It can handle huge data at a time which makes it important for finance apps.
- Removing bugs in COBOL is a hassle free process provided many tools are available.
- The language COBOL runs on every modern device in spite of being old, which makes it easy to modify applications built earlier.