What is the Full Form of GD in Police Station?
Full Form of GD in Police station - Full Form, Meaning, and Definition
The full form of GD in Police station is: GENERAL DIARY
What is a General diary in the Police station?
A general diary is a daily entry maintained in a police station in which the daily events inside the police station is jotted down.
These events might include details involved in arresting a person, accidents, arrival and leaving of the police staff, transactions made details of order duties, etc.
Why are GDs important? How can GD help a common person?
GDs help keep a record of all the complaints that a person registers. This comes in help during times when the person needs to prove his innocence.
For example if you lose your phone and someone uses it for illegal purposes, the General diary will be proof that you are innocent if you have registered the case in the past at a police station.
This GD is also helpful if you lose your passport or any other document. Having a written account of your stolen good can act in your favour if someone conducts malicious activities with them.
GD is free of cost and hence in case any of your valuable goods are stolen, you should definitely get it registered in the GD.
How to file a GD in Police station?
While filing a GD in the nearest police station, there are a few things to keep in mind. For example, if you have lost your mobile phone, mention the mobile sim card company, phone number, the mobile model number.
Also do mention the date, specific time and the place where it was lost. If you lose your some kind of ID or card then do mention the ID number and card number while filing the diary. When you go to the police station, the police may ask you some questions regarding the lose. Answer the questions simply.
After completing the file, the officer will give you a copy of that with the entry number, seal and sign. It’s very simple but go with a knowledgeable person if possible.
What are the reasons to file a GD?
- If you lose your mobile phone, filing a GD will save you from any criminal offense.
- In any case of tarnishment of reputation you can file a GD.
- If you lose your passport or any kind of ID or academic certificate.
- If anyone threatens you with physical harm, you can always file a GD.
- If you see any suspicious activities in your area, filing a GD will help the police to take the necessary steps.
What happens when a General Diary notebook is finished?
The general diaries may be destroyed after a period and this period varies from state to state.
Some states may keep the GD for up to 10 years.
After completion of their period, they are destroyed according to a prescribed procedure.
What are the differences between FIR and GD?
- FIR is the First Information Report which is filed when a triable offense is reported to the SHO of the police station whereas the General Diary records every kind of incident even the registration of the FIR.
- FIR is held under section 154 CrPC while GD is held under section 44.