The full form of PDA in computer is PERSONAL DIGITAL ASSISTANT
What is the full meaning of PDA in computer?
PDA is an obsolete handheld device used as a pocket computer or personal organizer which contains various organization features.
PDA contains combined features of the fax machine, cell phone, web browser, address book etc.
Newton Message Pad was the first PDA developed by Apple and was available in 1993. It took input with the help of a stylus. PDAs are not popular anymore since modern equipment like smartphone, tablets have replaced most of its features.
What are the features of a PDA?
- PDAs comes with a PIM (Personal Information management) software that enables it’s user to organize the following; Storing contact information including phone numbers, addresses, email ids, names; Making to-do lists; Note takings; Tracking-Reminding appointments.
- Almost all the Palm OS devices comes with applications such as DataViz Documents that are compatible with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; PalmOne Media that can open photos and videos; VersaMail software for emails and another for web-browsing.
- PDAs from Windows are loaded with Pocket Versions of Word, Excel, Internet Explorer and Outlook. They also include media software like Windows Media Player and voice recording.
- PDAs are synchronized with PCs, Windows OS uses ActiveSync and Palm OS uses HotSync as synchronization software. The user also needs to have compatible PC software to be able to sync with PDAs like Microsoft Outlook or Palm Desktop.
What are the functions of a PDA?
- Internet and network connectivity via Wi-Fi and wireless connection points.
- Support Wireless WAN (Wide Area Networks).
- Support a memory card slot that can accept flash media like Compact Flash, Multi-Media Cards.
- Audio support; microphone, audio jack, headphone jack support.
- A built-in GPS.
- A secure Digital Input and Output card slot.
What is the Input method of a PDA?
PDA is a device that works on a user’s command, the user works with the PDA mostly with a plastic Stylus. PDAs have a LCD screen, stylus is used for a lot of gestures that are read with a handwriting recognition program.
The software converts the handwritten note to letters and numbers. Users can also use integrated QWERTY keyboard.
What are the applications of PDA?
Personal digital assistant can be used as one of the following ways:
Also Read : What is the full form of PAN in computer?
What are the uses of PDA in healthcare?
PDAs are still used in the healthcare industries. The uses of PDA are as follows:
Used to load drug databases
Patients tracking becomes easier and updating the patient’s report becomes easier
Electronic case report formation
Updating information on PDA to be later analyzed in personal computer
The store treatment information in clinical trials
Infection control audits within the healthcare environment
What's the difference between a PDA and a smartphone?
Smartphones are wi-fi enabled whereas PDAs are not.
PDAs have a limited number of apps whereas smartphones have unlimited apps.
Upgradation of smartphones software is easier and customer care services are really good
Smartphone don’t need a stylus to be operated
So Smartphones are better than PDA.