The full form of POST in computer is Power on Self Test
What is the Full Meaning of POST in computer?
It is a diagnostic test that makes sure that the computer is working properly. The POST determines if the input and output systems like RAM, hard drive, CD-ROM drive, keyboard, mouse and others are operating well.
What is the location of POST?
The location of POST is in system ROM.
Types of errors During POST
Problems can appear after checking the systems by POST and this will stop the boot process of the computer. Errors can be seen such as.
- Windows hangs during start
- Flashing LEDs
- Audible beeps
- Error message on the screen
How does POST work?
When the computer is turned on, boot process is initiated while the BIOS is activated. Then the boot loader performs POST as a pre-boot series.
Whether you power on your computer for the first time or restart it, POST is going to operate regardless.
It does not depend on any installed operating system since it is handled by the in build BIOS system. Then it will go through the system and if everything works as expected it will continue the boot process otherwise the BIOS will send an error message.
The result of the test is sometimes internally recorded or shown on the screen through flashing LEDs. When POST is successfully done, the bootstrapping starts initialling the OS.
What is the difference between POST and BIOS?
- The full form of BIOS is ‘Basic input/output System’ and POST stands for ‘Power on Self Test’.
- BIOS is a sequence of settings of the motherboard whereas POST is a process of testing its devices when powered on.
- BIOS is the first programme that runs while turning on the computer whereas BIOS performs the POST.