What is the Full Form of COBOL in Computer?
Full Form of COBOL in computer - Full Form, Meaning, and Definition
The full form of COBOL in Computer is Computer business-oriented- language.
What is the full meaning of COBOL in computer programming?
It is a commercial-based high-end programming language. It is majorly used in the corporate and finance sectors while its use is reducing with time.
- Grace Hopper was the first to recognize COBOL in the 1950s. Previously, each system manufacturer was required to run a program in their programming language.
- COBOL's programs can operate on computers from a variety of producers allowing the DOD (Department of Defense) to rapidly implement it because they had to acquire devices from a variety of vendors.
- Since 1960, it has encountered numerous revisions and upgrades.
- COBOL-68, COBOL-74, COBOL-85, and COBOL-2002 are some of the COBOL updates created by the ANSI (American National Standards Institute).
- As a result, the COBOL format is no longer supported by modern computers, and it is referred to as a Legacy Language.
In which year COBOL high-level language was introduced?
The language COBOL was introduced in 1959, 60 years from now, by CODASYL (Committee on Data Systems Languages).
What are the Features of COBOL language?
- Standard syntax
- Wide tool availability
- Long-lived applications
- Easy to maintain
Why is COBOL important?
COBOL language became popular due to its ease to use and multiple features.
- It can handle huge data at a time which makes it important for finance apps.
- Removing bugs in COBOL is a hassle-free process provided many tools are available.
- The language COBOL runs on every modern device in spite of being old, which makes it easy to modify applications built earlier.
What are the Advantages of COBOL (New)?
- Massive data - COBOL can handle massive data at once and process it efficiently
- Self-documenting - It is self documenting language, which means we do not need any extra documents to read and understand the code. The code itself is self-explanatory.
- Easy bug resolution - Bug resolution becomes easy as it provides errors in the form of messages.
- Compatibility - COBOL is highly compatible with old versions and different browsers.
What are the Disadvantages of COBOL?
- Syntax - COBOL has a wordy and lengthy syntax. It takes much more time than other languages to learn the syntax of COBOL.
- Time - COBOL being an older language takes much more time than usual to compile and run a code.
Should you learn COBOL?
Though many applications have been shifted to other new programming languages, there is still some demand for COBOL. You can be one of the few COBOL programmers working on applications for business, organizations, etc. If you are acquainted with another programming language, learning COBOL would not be difficult.